Chara is one of the two monsters with the highest cost in the game, coupled with Angel of Death. It is one of the more famous Determination-rarity cards due to its past versions, which almost always resulted in instant victories.
As of after Beta 31.2, Chara has been reworked and changed completely, removing its instant win function and replacing it with a much watered down version with a complete new approach.
OverviewChara costs double than its ATK and HP cost average, because it gives you the Genocide Artifact (similar to Gerson who adds up to 4 different other artifacts), which silences and kills a random enemy monster at the start of your turn, at the cost of your max HP being reduced by 1 even if no monster got killed by the Artifact's effect. You are unable to lose any max HP if it's already at 1.
Genocide Artifact"At the start of your turn, silence and kill a random enemy monster. Gain -1 max HP if you have => 2 max HP."
Your current HP can't be higher than your max HP, so if your max HP is lowered, your current HP will correct itself by also reducing itself. This happens even if you have a Rouxls Kaard or Frisk on the board.
If you die against a player with the Genocide artifact, you will get a special losing sequence:
- The screen will be covered with red '9' instead of showing a breaking soul.
- 'YOU DIED' will appear instead of 'GAME OVER'.
- The music 'But Nobody Came' plays instead of 'Determination'.
Using Chara will require you to act quickly before your opponent (or even you) can kill you.
Make sure to always keep your board with at least 2 or more big monsters, creating a bigger board pressure and control. Use the hefty monster killing to your advantage, bearing in mind the killed monster is always randomized. This means that if your opponent has a full board, the chances of the artifact killing the monster you want to be killed are lower.
Using Innkeeper and the Health Artifact is useful to offset the max HP reduction. Maintaining a board by healing your monsters is also recommended, since the board control power that Chara runs always makes it benefitial to keep monsters on board to quickly kill your opponent.
Chara's stats are also powerful, so try to use them a lot before your opponent can get rid of it. In case the opponent does get rid of it instantly, plan further and make sure you have enough gold and cards in hand to summon over your opponent's counters.
The damage your opponent takes after playing Chara can be made heavily to your advantage. You can also not deal with the artifact if you make your opponent overdraw their Chara, or use Receptionist 3 to get rid of its effect, but not its body.
Due to Chara's effect only giving their owner an Artifact that can't stack, a good way to cripple the opponent is by bouncing them with Endogeny, as that will effectively turn Chara info an effectless Asriel Dreemurr. Even if cards like Chaos Duck or Red Bird target and transform it, the Genocide artifact will not be removed.
Just like your opponent, you must make sure to summon many monsters over killed ones to claim board control. This can slightly switch the artifact's randomness to your favor, reducing their chances to kill your valuable monsters.
If you notice the opponent stalling for gold and/or board control, make sure to prepare your gold reserve and hand size in case this card is used.
- Control (by Moonlightring)
- Erase (by Darky)
- Together Forever (by Martb.y)
- Partner (by Zoomlightbulbs)
- Happy Chara (by Moonlightring)
- Big Eyes Chara (by Asrite)
- Yellow Flowers Chara (by BlueKitty12)
- Spiteful Angel (by Asrite)
- Chara's Rush (by Jacky Bunny - Fan Artist)
- Only available through the UCP Shop.
- Currently, Chara has the most Skins, with a total of 9.
- The file for Chara's Rush used to be 30x as big as any Skin before it upon release. This was fixed in 1-2 weeks.
- The only exception to this is Susie's 2nd Skin, Fight Me (also made by Jacky), which was also bigger than the others upon release but since fixed (before this Skin's release). However, it was only 10x as big.